Monday, October 17, 2011

Amazing People

September 30, 2011

Well today was an adventure. It all started when I was stressed out trying to get everything done before the day was over-I failed. However, a couple of us went out to dinner anyway. We drove to a food court area to get tapenyaki (like the Japanese food they cook in front of you). It was so good. Then I decided I needed a cookie from Subway. I walked over there and decided to splurge on two. Before I paid the girl in front of me said “3 for 45 is cheaper” I of course knew that but figure alright they sold me on it  I’ll get 3 and eat them all weekend.

            We did a little shopping and then decided that it was time to go home. In the elevator the same girl and her mom were there. We joked about how they saved me money and talked me into another cookie. They got off on another floor and we said bye. We went to our car and it wouldn’t start. We tried and tried and then tried some more. Then we started troubleshooting-who can we call? Who is free? Who speaks Chinese? Where do we take the car? How do we get home?

We finally decided to walk into the mall where it was cool when we ran into the same girl (Peggy) and her mom (Anna). They had parked right next to us. They called our mechanic, the towing company and even helped us some with the taxi. The stuck around and visited with us for the whole hour that we had to wait. They were so kind and patient. It was so nice and unusual in Western standards. In the west someone that does that is so kind-here it is normal. Eventually, everyone (the taxi, the tow truck, and our local mechanic) showed up and we got to leave. We finally got back to school and then on to our apartments. Now, I am working on lesson plans and packing because I am off to the capital (Taipei) tomorrow to see my dad and grandpa.

No comments:

Post a Comment